Wednesday, November 21, 2012

I'm thankful for 2012


It’s been a whirlwind year with a lot of highs—and a handful of lows. In fact, without this tradition, I may not sit down this year and give thanks for a year that has brought me to tears more than a few times. But, on closer inspection, I have so many things that make me thankful. Chief among them, the spirit of resilience that all of my family members have, the attitude that no matter what happens, we each will keep going.

In 2012, I couldn’t be more thankful for:
-Steve and your patience; your enthusiasm for picking on Marlie and me; your sense of adventure; that moment when your patience runs out and you finally tell me what’s on your mind; our love for travel; your generosity with my family; and your incredible sense of humor.
-My mom, my very best friend, who puts up with all of me, which is no easy task.
-My dad, who is only a phone call away to fix all of the problems in my life, from leaky showers to tearful fits.
-Taylor and every giggly phone call that reminds me of our late night conversations growing up.
-Reed and your ability to take on everything, including our family drama, in the same way you caught frogs for Taylor and me when were little, like it’s easy.
-Mallory, thanks for bringing your insight to so many of our family moments. You have a careful eye that catches the things we often miss.

My dear, dear friends. God blesses me through each of you every day with humor, love and attention. I’m so very thankful for friends that:
-Wouldn’t commit a misdemeanor, let alone a felony.
-Laugh loudly.
-Dive into pools.
-Have traditions.
-Let me cry.
-Apologize.
-Pick me up out of the bushes.
-Make breakfast.
-Have babies.
-Get married in awesome weddings
-Appreciate my bossiness
-Read my blogs
-Make me dinner to celebrate their engagement.
-Gossip.
-Introduce me to new people.
-Dress up for birthdays and Halloween.
-Share inside jokes.
-Sister, get up!
-Make me laugh. Hard.
-Introduce me to their fabulous in-laws.
-Tweet, GChat and Email, because we can’t see each other often enough.
-Give side-eye
-Share their struggles
-Celebrate life with girly cocktail hours
-Share our love of any of our passions.
-Love Will Hoge
-Tailgate for Opening Day
-Ask me to be in their wedding
-Take us rafting
-Quote 30 Rock and make up drinking games
-Hike
-Encourage me
-Let me sleep at their house
-Cook
-Commiserate about the Braves
-Have an irreverent sense of humor
-Have a disdain for raised medians
-Are very upset that I have no Georgia swag but plenty from FSU
-Tahiti
-Aren’t judgy
-Form friendships even if we haven’t met in real life
-Are happy
-Show me how to start over and learn new things
-Say “good talk”

Thank you for the many ways you bless me and the nonsense you put up with from me: Molly, Brad, Wylly, Sharon, Nate, Rick, Chris Brown, Nikki, Steven, Brett, Liz, Theresa, Chris Connolly, Ben, Matt, Debbie, Krisi, Pete, Sarah Beth, Cam, Patrick, Tom, Ivan, Kristi, Sarah Melissa, Chase, Shawn, Kevin, Callie, Joe, Matt, Martha, Chris Bailey, Kristin, Damon, Ashlee, Meaghan, Jenna, Seth and Billy.

Thank God for Twitter; Riesling, Malbec, ciders and tequila; treadmills; DVR; Homeland, Nashville and 30 Rock; blogs like Suri’s Burn Book; Sharpies and highlighters; Susan B. Anthony; Midnight in Paris; Zelda Fitzgerald; Will Hoge, Miranda Lambert and Jason Aldean; Dry Roasted Almonds; Willy’s Mexican Grill; my phone; covers; celebrity gossip; vacations and new adventures; people that drive better than I do; library books; hurricane coverage; the Silver Comet Trail; Jackson Square; fortune tellers; my bed; gum; the days I can work from home; coupons and contests; old pictures; awkward conversations and situations that are funny later; the laughter that comes from old jokes, and being easily amused and a little bit childish; and the million other small things that get me through the day.

God bless the Braves; Baby; Freddie Freeman hugs; Craig Kimbrell; Chipper Jones, his tweets and all his retirement gifts; Kris Medlen; Andrelton Simmons; the way Chip Caray says Francisco; and fans that throw trash for garbage calls. I’m still mad about the infield fly rule.

Epiphanies where God finally shows me what he’s been working toward all along.

That I have a Savior who blesses me everyday, and loves me for who I am but loves me too much to leave me this way.

And finally, for the chance to count my blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment