Thursday, September 13, 2012

Absurd

I just came across something that made me think of an utter truth: For all the care we put into our reputation, we have absolutely no control over it when we die. And that time period is significantly longer.

As I've mentioned before, I've become quite enthralled with Zelda Fitzgerald. Her big presence in her youth, and her loneliness later in life. Her independence, which was a problem in that era but now would be considered somewhat normal. The ultimate demise of what the press saw as such a happy and dominant marriage.

Zelda, like me, wasn't much for running a household.

From her Wikipedia page:

When Harper & Brothers asked her to contribute to Favorite Recipes of Famous Women she wrote: "See if there is any bacon, and if there is, ask the cook which pan to fry it in. Then ask if there are any eggs, and if so try and persuade the cook to poach two of them. It is better not to attempt toast, as it burns very easily. Also, in the case of bacon, do not turn the fire too high, or you will have to get out of the house for a week. Serve preferably on china plates, though gold or wood will do if handy".

You can imagine the shriek of laughter I just let out when I saw this.





Zelda- on an apron! HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment